Monday, August 1, 2011

Back from a wonderful week in Iowa!

Last Saturday I set off on an adventure. I was set to conquer the ride known as Ragbrai. I had been somewhat informed on what to expect. There would be lots of other riders on the road, it would be soooo much fun, there would be humidity, and so on. What was left out for me was that Iowa has quite a few hills. Some of these hills are quite steep as well.
This is a video of twister hill, the steepest hill on the ride. Sure there are steeper hills in the world but it is pretty brutal for your average cyclist from the flat tundra we call home.

These hills did provide a definite shock to the system. After the initial shock had run its course I was left with what Ragbrai really is. Biker Mecca, there is delicious food , beautiful bikes , the camaraderie of thousands of people who all love bicycles, all of this in one place. It is like a carnival atmosphere at most of the small towns. You can stop and grab some food or the occasional beer, sit under a shade tree and watch the masses roll in.
one of the many small towns in which we stopped to re hydrate and grab a bite to eat
 A town square filled with cyclists trying to cool down in the 100+ degree weather
Best beer cooler ever! had to throw this one in too. Was the only place we could find Hamm's the whole week and it was our last overnight.

Spent an entire week camping, biking, all in hundred degree plus weather. I know to some this sounds like no fun at all. I however consider this one of the best trips I have taken in my entire life!

No comments:

Post a Comment